Location: Cape Breton Regional Library Headquarters, 50 Falmouth Street, Sydney NS B1P 6X9
Status: Permanent Full-time with a three-month probationary period
Salary range: $42,305 to $51,418 yearly
Schedule: 35 hours per week between the hours of 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Schedule changes may be required according to library needs.
Cape Breton Regional Library (CBRL) is a public library system in Cape Breton Regional Municipality and Victoria County with 12 branches and a bookmobile.
CBRL invites applications for the position of Systems Administrator. Under the direction of library management, this position provides comprehensive technical support to the library’s branches, bookmobile, and headquarters office. The systems administrator is responsible for constructing and maintaining highly functional computer systems and networks, optimizing the role of technology in library operations while prioritizing security.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Configure, install, and optimize computer hardware and software, ensuring maximum functionality.
- Oversee the complete set-up and configuration of servers, printers, scanners, routers, self-service kiosks, and other peripherals as directed, ensuring seamless network integration.
- Provide on-site, telephone, and email support to library staff for library automated system applications, standard office software applications, and basic hardware functionality.
- Support and troubleshoot the Local Area Network located at regional headquarters, peer-to-peer networks, and standalone computers.
- Support the operation and maintenance of computer equipment and perform minor repairs as necessary.
- Back up organizational data and implement disaster recovery solutions.
- Maintain an accurate inventory and documentation of all computer-related equipment and hardware, security protocols, and topology maps.
- Administer user accounts and passwords.
- Collaborate with library management on various projects, including system migration and the introduction of new technology.
- Determine required upgrades to hardware and software for the region within the constraints of budget recommendations and advise on future technology needs.
- Attend training workshops, staff in-services, etc. as required by CBRL.
- Perform other duties as required.
Certificates, Licenses, Skills
- Information Technology diploma from a recognized institution or equivalent certification.
- Thorough knowledge of computer hardware and software, including network systems.
- Experience with Windows Server Active Directory and group policies.
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record.
- The ability to communicate clearly and professionally, in person, via telephone, and through email.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Previous library experience is an asset.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to lift/move up to 35 pounds. The individual will regularly be required to focus on a computer monitor for prolonged periods.
A satisfactory police records check and child abuse registry check are required for the successful candidate.
Applications must be submitted electronically. Please send your resume with a cover letter outlining your skills and qualifications via email to: email@example.com.
Closing date: Monday, November 20, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.