Cape Breton Regional Library invites INTERNAL and EXTERNAL applications for the full-time position of Library Assistant – Children’s Programs located at James McConnell Memorial Library, Sydney.
Hours per week: 35hrs (Tuesday-Saturday).
Salary: $31,227 – $37,957 annually.
The James McConnell Library is the largest branch of the Cape Breton Regional Library serving upwards of 400 people a day. The library is a community hub offering innovative programs and technology access, various lending services (e.g. recreational equipment, radon detectors, eBooks, books, DVDs and more), and a regular stopping place for many residents, including children and teens. We serve a diverse population of all ages and recognize the unique needs of all individuals. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to provide excellent customer service. The successful individual will be a team player, well organized, and possess exemplary communication skills.
- The primary responsibility of this position is planning, creating, promoting and delivering a broad array of children’s programs that meet the needs of the community. Programming and outreach are key components of this position, so the applicant must have the skill and desire to plan and run events onsite and out in the community.
- Works as part of a team to lead and cultivate creative and educational experiences for children, teens, and families.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of programs and services that promote literacy, learning and socialization with a focus on babies, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Programming for school-aged children during school breaks, with a focus on March Break, Winter Break, and Summer
- Initiate suitable activities and displays to stimulate young library visitors.
- Group visits and community outreach.
- Serves members of the public seeking information. Providing information in-person, by telephone and through digital services.
- Provides excellent customer service to members of the public at the circulation desk using the Library’s ILS system, including, but not limited to: processing new card applications, receiving new materials, placing holds, and searching the catalogue for requested material.
- Supports patrons, in-library and remotely, in their access and use of the Library’s digital collections and website.
- Assists with supervision and training of student employees.
- Assists with conducting annual inventory of a large and diverse collection.
- Provides training for staff who will be working at other branch sites.
- Other duties as required.
- Working Conditions:
- Requirements / Skills:
- Working conditions include a combination of lifting, bending, reaching, pushing, pulling, and carrying books. This position will require long periods of standing, as well as typical office conditions.
- Note: While a schedule is assigned, employees will occasionally be required to work hours outside assigned schedule. This may include hours on normally scheduled days off.
Requirements / Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Graduate of Early Childhood Education diploma program preferred.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships with public, peers, and supervisors.
- Willingness and adaptability to function well in a changing work environment.
- Experience delivering programs to children and public speaking experience are considered assets.
- This position requires a clear criminal record check and a child abuse registry check.
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License.
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing relevant abilities, qualifications, and experience by 4:30pm on Tuesday, April 19, 2022 to:
Meghan EaglesCape Breton Regional Library
50 Falmouth Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia