About Makey Makey
Recommended age: 8+ years old
Requires: computer or laptop (not included)
Makey Makey is an invention tool that allows you to connect your computer to everyday objects and use them in place of your keyboard and mouse! No software to install. Works with Mac, PC, and Chromebooks.
Items in your kit are numbered as follows:
- Instruction booklet
- Circuit board
- Red USB cable
- Alligator clips (x7)
- Jumper wires (x6)
- Keep circuit board and computer away from water.
- Do not connect Makey Makey to a wall outlet or charger.
- Only connect to a computer.
- First, make sure all parts are included in your kit. Let your library branch know if anything is missing.
- Open a text editor or word processor (such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs) on your computer.
- Next, connect the circuit board to your computer using the red USB cable.
- Using an alligator clip, connect one end to “earth” on the circuit board, and hold the other end with your hand.
- Touch the “space” button on the circuit board with your other hand. A green light will turn on to indicate you’ve made a connection. Your computer should respond by making a space as if you touched the space bar on your keyboard.
- Now, using another alligator clip, connect one end to the “space” button on the circuit board and the other end to an object. NOTE: some objects will work better than others. Things like fruit and metallic objects work great.
- Now that you’ve made a connection with the circuit board, check out the Makey Makey apps linked below, the user manual, or begin experimenting and create your own invention!
If you are having issues with Makey Makey or have further questions,
please visit these resources:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- First time setup guide
- Troubleshooting Guide (Youtube):
- Makey Makey Contact Information
- “Makey Makey” by Sandy Ng
- “20 Makey Makey Projects for the Evil Genius” by Colleen Graves
- “Ara the Dream Innovator” by Komal Singh
Find these and more on samepagecbrl.bibliocommons.com
We’d love to hear from you! Please provide us with your feedback by filling out the feedback form included in your kit, or by filling in our online survey.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is STEAM?
STEAM is an acronym for science, technology, engineering, art, and math. It is an approach to learning that uses these subjects as a guide to problem-solving, inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking.
What are STEAM Kits?
STEAM Kits contain hands-on activities that support STEAM-based
How do I check out a STEAM Kit?
For how long can I borrow a STEAM Kit?
STEAM Kits can be checked out online through the Cape Breton
Regional Library website (www.cbrl.ca), or in person at any of our
STEAM Kits can be borrowed for up to 3 weeks.
How do I return a STEAM kit?
STEAM Kits can be returned to any of our branch locations. Please
bring the STEAM Kit to the circulation desk. Do not leave in the book return dropbox.
Who do I contact for more information?
If you have any questions or need assistance with your STEAM Kit,
please contact your local branch or email us at STEAM@cbrl.ca.